Friday, December 19, 2008

Do I Really Look Chinese and The Day I Went To The BankS

PART I
hmm, i've intended to write about this for a few days already.
DO I REALLY LOOK CHINESE???

well, as you may have known, i went for medical check up on last tuesday. in the process i met a few people and 75% of the chinese spoke to me in chinese. in case 3, i dont even know if she is even a chinese, lol.

case 1:
sitting at the bahagian pentadbiran, waiting for the counter to open at 2pm. there's a chinese girl and her mother sitting next to me. they came with another sister and brother who was sitting somewhere else. obviously they ching-chong in chinese, so i decided to just ignore them. out of boredom, i look at the mother, who was sitting 2 chairs away. and she started talking to me in chinese. asking me if i'm selected for PLKN, which camp, from which school etc etc etc. so i just talk to her la. by the way, her son was the ONLY guy selected for PLKN in his class. how lucky or shall i say "lucky" eh? oh yeah, i thought my school aka st michael school is very famous, listed in MBOR some more (i'm trying to brag here), the lady AND her daughter doesn't know where on earth is st michael school la.. such pity! living in their own world..

case 2:
sitting near makmal 21 and 22. waiting for urine test result and supposed to have x-ray after that. so as i said before, the ahem lady didnt tell me that i'm supposed to put the x-ray form in the tray at the opposite counter. so i just sat there, not knowing what to do. well, honestly i didnt know im supposed to have my x-ray and get my urine test result.. so i just blur2 la waiting to be called or something. then there's this chinese girl, who was applying to enter politeknik, who sat next to me. she was as lost as i was. then she opened her mouth and asked me in chinese, are we supposed to go and register now or what? (we, or at least I was told to register at the main counter after going to makmal 21 and 22) so i told her i'm not sure. then she look at my x-ray form and told me to place it in the tray. thank god she exist..

case 3:
outside bilik 17. i finally finished my medical check up after the blood test and got my forms signed by the very nice doctor named roy martin (his name is interesting,lol). so i went out of the room, holding all the documents, letters, x-ray film and a cotton soak with antiseptic (i think) plus a damn-it face because everything was "falling out" of my hand and my finger has just been poke for the blood test.
*note: i'm afraid of blood and i wasn't that happy with the fact that my finger has just been purposely cutted/poked or whatever you call it.
then this dark skin lady who doesn't look anything like chinese, who was sitting RIGHT INFRONT of bilik 17, and who cant seem too see that i was helpless, opened her mouth and asked me in chinese: ni de camp shi bu shi ye shi zai selangor? miss, is your camp in selangor too? i was actually suprised, i almost dropped everything! woah, do i really look that chinese?

gosh, i tell you, for ONCE i'm so glad and thankful to my parents for sending me to chinese school. i dont think i can bear the shame of unable to understand or speak chinese. how embarrassing!

so that night, i asked a few friends the same question: do i really look like chinese?
and well, i guess so.. one of them told me this:
you look like chinese, you speak chinese, you have chinese eyes (yeah right, one big one small typical chinese eyes eh? hye you! if you are chinese, one of your eyes is smaller than the other and yes, it is obvious!!), you speak like chinese which means i speak fast, you have chinese slang (wow really?!?! well, okay, i DO have chinese slang when i feel like using it.. but i dont use my chinese slang in everyday, real life conversation! someone please agree with me!!! right, right, right??? AND!! how do they know i am chinese if i havent spoke to them before? right?? )

case 4:
so today i went to Agro Bank to open an account for PLKN, and i met this chinese lady with her son there. and she, too, asked me where is my camp in *sigh* chinese. do i really look THAT chinese??? i dont see the chinese in me! hmmm..

oh yeah, and then i asked my dad the same question today.
he say it's the way i dress. he say the bumi dress differently. well yeah, they dress differently, i dress normally okay! i dont dress like chinese with all the mini skirts and oh-i'm-so-chinese trying to poseur some hong kong star with those hanajuku dress and multiple layers and all!! huhu!! i dont dress like chinese!! *cry like doraemon*

but oh well, yeah. i'm 75% chinese. but i cant see the chinese on my face!! *sigh* i'm not anti chinese okay. i AM proud of who i am. chinese and kadazan, i'm proud being both. no question!

PART II
the day i went to the bankS
today, i went to Agro Bank and Maybank to open two accounts for two different purposes.

i wont elaborate more about agro bank as i've written about agro bank in part I. but what i wanted to share are
a) the good part: the security uncle there was very nice and helpful. he helped me to go get the proper forms, lend me a pen and guide me through the form =) malaysia will be a much better place if everyone is as nice and helpful as he was.
b) and the bad part: the staff in charge of keying in new account application only came in at about 2.20pm. when she came in, there was quite a long queue already. *sigh* well, i'm in a good mood today, so i wont say: such an irresponsible lady! waste so many people's time! instead i will say: hmmm.. maybe she had an emergency and the bank is under staff.

after Agro bank, i headed for maybank, where i heard the most ridiculous line in banking business. i wanted to open an account, but the desk girl *poof*, so i had to wait before a guy came.

*poof= disappeared to god knows where

Me: can i have a form of new application ?
Guy: for saving account?
Me: yes
--guy *poofs*. waited. desk lady came back.
Me: urm, excuse me, can i have a form for new saving account application?
Lady: okay,
--lady *poofs*. guy came back after few minutes. gives form to me
Guy: student or working?
Me: student.
GUy: which school?
Me: i was in st michael, but currently waiting for my SPM results.
Guy: to open an account in maybank, you have to be either a student or working. so now, you are not categorized as either student or working. how old are you?
Me: oh. 17.
Guy: you have to come with your parent.
Me: do you need his IC or just the person?
Guy: just the person
Me: okay, i'll call him to come over. (dad was at opposite mamak shop drinking teh tarik and reading NST)
--lady joins guy
Guy: do you have you original birth cert with you?
Me: urm no.... (inner monolog: why on earth do you need my birthcert?) can't i just use my IC?
Guy: no, IC is not enough, we need your birthcert.
Me: (inner monologue: do i look liek PTI or waht?) so, that means i cant open an account today?
Guy: yes
Lady: how about your student card?
Me: i dont have a student card. my school doesnt have student card. st michael doesnt USE student card. (i was getting irritated, but they were talking to me nicely, so i talk back nicely)
--Guy and girl looks at each other
Lady: surat lepas sekolah? oh ya, belum ada tue kan?
Me: no, dont have surat lepas sekolah yet
Lady: err.. macam mana nie ah? borang yang duduk exam tu.
Me: you mean the one that states all the subject you take and all? (forgoten the term slip SPM/ kenyataan peperiksaan)
Lady: Yang mau bawa masuk setiap kali exam tu.. kamu tiada sudah ka tu?
Guy: kau masih ada ka? atau sudah buang? (laughs)
Me: yang untuk SPM tu?
Lady: ah itu pun boleh la..
--guy walks to another desk
Lady:(look at guy) kau sudah scan ka IC dia ni?
--i walk over to scan IC and finger print
Guy: so you are going to work after this?
Me: no, i'm leaving for NS in a few days. in about one week time. yeah.
Guy: where?
Me: selangor
Guy: oh. syok la tue kan?
Me: haha, ya. jalan-jalan tingu tempat (cant think what to reply)
Guy: oh, so the next time i see you, you will be hitam-hitam la this kan?
Me: (right!! you have the guts to joke around? lol) haha. yeah.. are you open tomorrow?
Guy: hmm.. nooo.. (makes too-bad voice) you can come back on monday. come around 9, 9.15 like that la.. less people. if around this time, memang banyak orang tu..
--finish scanning and print out
Me: oh okay, i'll come back when i'm free la =) thank you.

sheessh.!! thank god i'm in a good mood. but what i find ridiculous was.. why do you need, BIRTHCERT when you have IC? some more verified with finger print again.. and student card? and parent (yeah, underage. lame).. but thank god they treat me nicely la =)


4 comments:

  1. My answer..Yes, you do.. :P

    I'm Sino too.. but i look really mixed.. can't really tell what race i am.. I'm not the typical chinese or kadazan..i don't like maths and i don't drink..ehehe

    weird, you need a surat lepas sekolah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! exactly, i think i'm so mixed that i cant see where's the chinese or where's the kadazan! huhu..

    but i like maths, and.. er.. yeah i drink.. SSSIIIKKKIIITTT la..

    the surat lepas skola? coz i dont have student card..

    a new found friend says this :
    you just give other people that kind of feeling that you are a chinese girl

    I HAVE CHINESE AURA!!!! WAHAHAHHAAH

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for getting back this late to you, was in NS camp..

    anyway, yes, i am a kadazan. i have kadazan blood running in me, and am proud of that fact. i'm proud of being chinese too, hehe..

    ReplyDelete